Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Highly Inappropriate Tales for Young People by Douglas Coupland and Graham Roumieu


Summary:
In the grand tradition of Edward Gorey's Gashlycrumb Tinies, Tim Burton's Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Hillaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Children, comes Douglas Coupland and Graham Roumieu's Highly Inappropriate Tales for Young People.

Ever wonder what would happen if Douglas Coupland's unhinged imagination met Graham Roumieu's insane knack for illustrating the ridiculously weird? The answer is seven deliciously wicked tales featuring seven highly improbable, not only inappropriate, characters, including Donald the Incredibly Hostile Juice Box, Hans the Weird Exchange Student, Brandon the Action Figure with Issues and Kevin the Hobo Minivan with Extremely Low Morals. If you are over the age of consent, seriously weird or just like to laugh, you'll love the unlovable miscreants who unleash their dark and unruly desires on every page of these unsuitable, completely hilarious tales.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 131 pages (Hardcover Edition)
Source: Toronto Public Library
Publication Date: October 25th 2011

So there I was. Looking at the books in the library and then the title of this one popped out at me. Then when I saw the cover I was convinced I had to give it a go. If only for the giggles. Now I admit I didn't go into reading this book with high expectations. In fact I actually went into it with very low expectations.

At only 131 pages I knew I wasn't going to be wowed. I was just looking for a quick and easy read because I seem to be falling behind this month in terms of my reading goal for the month. I was how every pleasantly surprised. 

My favourite part about the book was the artwork done by illustrator Graham Roumieu. They reminded me of Quentin Blake's style. Blake as some of you may recall illustrated famous children's novelist Roald Dahl's books. So this book offered a bit of nostalgia even if the drawings weren't done by Blake .

I though the stories we sort of funny but not as outrageous as I had thought they might be given the ttle especially. I thought they were more quirky than anything and while they weren't anything special they did provide enough entertainment for me to derive a few laughs from.

So if you've read the author's works before and liked them I think you have a good chance of liking this one as well, at least a lot of people seem to say that. However if you're like me and hadn't read any of the author's previous books yet I suggest that you not purchase this one. Instead please check it out from your local library.

★ ★

3 comments:

  1. *Sigh* I was looking forward to reading this since I taken in by the title too. Well, so many more books await me, nothing to fret about. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, many more books are out there. At least you have more time to read other, more enjoyable books.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

    Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

    Prisonstt.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!