Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds #1) by Charles Brokaw


The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1) 
 
Summary:
 
A thrill-seeking Harvard linguistics professor and an ultrasecret branch of the Catholic Church go head-to-head in a race to uncover the secrets of the lost city of Atlantis. The ruins of the technologically-advanced, eerily-enigmatic ancient civilization promise their discoverer fame, fortune, and power… but hold earth-shattering secrets about the origin of man.

While world-famous linguist and archaeologist, Thomas Lourds, is shooting a film that dramatizes his flamboyant life and scientific achievements, satellites spot impossibly ancient ruins along the Spanish coast. Lourds knows exactly what it means: the Lost Continent of Atlantis has been found. The race is on, and Lourds' challengers will do anything to get there first.

Whoever controls the Lost Continent will control the world.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 432 pages (Hardcover)
Available Formats: Print/E-book/Audio
Publication Date: November 10th 2009 by Forge books    
 
Atlantis.
Not many words inspire so much wonder and mystery as that one which is why I'm rather obsessed with the myth. I can't help it I love adventure novels that feature the legend so when one of my many library searches led me to The Atlantis Code I was stoked. It sounded awesome and it got reasonably good reviews on Goodreads so as soon as I brought it home from the library I dove into reading it. 
 
Unfortunately diving into it was similar to diving into a pool empty of water. Right from the beginning I was off put by the writing. I hate when author refer to their main characters by their last names, especially when the name is something that sounds kind of pretentious like Lourds (no offense to anyone bearing that last name) but it irked me to know end that the author of the Atlantis Code referred to Thomas the hero of the novel by his last name. I know it may seem like a little thing to people but we all have our pet peeves and the last name referrals are some of my biggest. 
 
Anyways, from the beginning of the novel I was struck by how slow the plot moved. I'm used to my adventure/thriller novels being adrenaline pumping reads pretty much from the get go with expected lulls in the action factor mingled into the plot line which was what I was expecting in this one. While there was some major action in the first 30 or so pages I wasn't satisfied how the first major action scene played out it was very sterile and lacking any feeling which was a feeling that was carried on through out the telling of The Atlantis Code.
 
The writing was very dense. The story was very detailed, too detailed it was as though the purpose was to explain every little thing to the reader. I like when an author explains certain things in more detail but those things are usually major plot points and things that are extremely relevant to the story but in this case I felt things were needlessly being explained which made the book a very tedious read at times.
 
The characters were another thing I had issues with and that is because they were all very one dimensional and over the top. Thomas Lourds is a linguist and I do understand that while he is a professor that he doesn't have the typical look of a stuffy old professor but he was far too aloof and unconcerned with his role as the romantic interest to not one but both of the female side characters and was a bit of a playboy but in the stuck up kind of way so there was a ton of eye rolling from me due to his behaviour as well as his overall holier than thou attitude he had about his abilities to solve the code to discover Atlantis.
 
The other characters were very one dimensional as well. As I mentioned the female leads were overly dramatic and over the top when it came to their character flaws and personalities just like Thomas and it was as though they were ripped from the set of a bad direct to DVD movie. Even the bad guys in the book came across as being inadequate and useless. They were some of the worst villians that I've ever come across in my reading.
 
The story line though is my main bone of contention. The book was praised as being the next Da Vinci Code while I saw the potential for the story about the myth of Atlantis in the beginning and was willing to look over some things in the beginning by the time I finished the book I felt like I had read a horribly inadequate rip off of The Da Vinci Code. There were some changes but the basic template of that bestseller was one that I saw used in the telling of this book. There were so many things that were similar to the story that they just started piling up in my head and made me more and more anxious to finish the book which I might add had one of the most anti-climatic endings I've ever come across and was such a huge let down but for me the main thing was that my ordeal with the novel was over.
 
The plot had so many holes that the amount of details used were pretty much used in place of an actual plot line and the poor characters, dialogue, lack of adventure and the lack of imagination of the actual story line drove me to have a great dislike for this first novel in the Thomas Lourds series.  While the book is entitled  The Atlantis Code I feel like Atlantis was touched on very little considering that and I felt that that lead to much of the deterioration of the plot and characters. However I do realize this was the author's first attempt at a novel so despite my obvious disappointment for it I can see that the bones of a good story were there and I am willing to give the second book in the series a chance and hope that it has more action and less mindless detail than this book.
 
Overall, I don't think this is one I would read again but I do see how the book does appeal to readers so I'm only going to recommend this on the basis of my believing a book is only as good as the individual reading it thinks it is. While I didn't like it others may find that it's a gem so if you think despite of my review that you make like to try the book out for yourself I say go for it!
 
 
Not for me!
 
To visit Charles Brokaw's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This one does sounds interesting but I'll admit I read the little blurb and immediately cringed because it sounds way too close to Dan Brown's novels.
    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Michelle! I hate when the books we want to like end up being duds. But we can't love 'em all I suppose :)

      Delete
  2. :* i love the review. Especially the direct to dvd reference. Lol lets hope they dont do a movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a shame - I've had this one on my to-read list for a while now, but I suspect I'd share many of your same concerns. I'll likely still give it a chance . . . I'm just in less of a hurry now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!