Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

[Review] Kracken: Dawn of Destiny Series #1 by Ray Ellis



kracken-banner
kracken

Summary:


The year is 135 New Reckoning. A Godless world is rebuilding itself.

When a stranger from Mike Stone’s past appears on his doorstep, his ordinary life is suddenly and violently destroyed. Mike’s past has come back to haunt him. Now with his family attacked and his home destroyed, Mike finds himself running for his life through a jungle-planet filled with terrors and a monster known only as the Kracken.
In the midst of the chaos, Ted Waters launches his plan for domination. In a post-apocalyptic world, Waters sets himself up as the sole leader of the emerging world government. Using children as slaves, he mines a new narcotic used to subdue the people’s will. 
Kracken, the story of two men, two opinions and two bases of power set on a collision path. When the two collide, Mike finds himself confronted by the God he thought he left behind.

Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 367 pages (Paperback)
Source: Review Copy
Genre: Sci-Fi
Available Formats: Print/E-book
Publication Date: February 18th 2015 by NCC Publishing 


What a fun read this was! I thought the blend of science fiction set in a post apocalyptic world with a love story at the true heart of it. This was actually my last read of 2016 and I have to say it truly did end on a strong note. 
This was my first time reading a Ray Ellis book, but he'd been on my radar for some time because he's quite popular in the realm of Christian fiction which I don't dabble in much but for Ray Ellis I think I might venture into the genre a little more often. 
This one read like a great action adventure novel. There was a ton going on in terms of the main character Mike Sloane and his exploits with the various fauna and flora on the planet. I really felt as though I were there along side he and his crew as they were running for their lives. The action was very realistic and I loved how Ellis was able to transport me into the story. 
I thought that Mike Sloane was a great character and I really felt for the guy (for reaasons that will become apparent when you read the book. I thought he was very likable and I enjoyed the way he was depicted. He had a big heart and I couldn't help but feel for the guy. 
I also thought that Ted Waters was a great villain. I thought that he absolutely balanced Sloane out very well. Both have their demons don't get me wrong I am not saying that Sloane was perfect but they were such complete opposites morally and ethically. They just worked very well together. 
This book was more than just a fun read it poses some interesting questions as well for the reader and I feel like the ending wasn't wrapped up perfectly but left open so that we the readers may formulate a bit of our own conclusions.
This is one I'd definitely recommend to fans of science fiction and if you don't mind a bit of a Christian influence in the story Bob's your uncle. I can definitely see myself reading more by Ray Ellis soon.
Buy Links:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Meet the Author

ray-ellis
Ray Ellis was ordained into the ministry in March of 1989 and was sworn in as a uniformed police officer in April of that same year. He began writing in the fall of 1991, although like many before him, it had been his lifelong dream to be a writer. He completed his first manuscript, a science fantasy, in late 1999, but it was his fifth book published.
His first three books published was an inspirational mystery series, Nate Richards Mysteries, which was followed by a paranormal short story called “I”. Ray drew from his almost 30 years experience working in law enforcement to create the world of his mystery thrillers and from the same three decades in ministry to integrate the principals and truths of the Christian Gospel throughout all his stories . In his career, he worked as a jail deputy in a maximum-security facility in Orange County, California before being transferred to street patrol. While working in Orange County he also served as the captain of the department’s Martial Arts stunt and demonstration team.
In June of 1997, Ray transferred to Idaho, where he continued to work as a police officer, serving in patrol, then as a sex-crime investigator, and finally as a SRO, School Resource Officer. Being a pastor and a police officer, Ray offers a unique view of the human experience, binding the two worlds to tell his stories from his own distinctive perspective.
Since releasing his first book, Ray has been selected as Top 50 Author for the state of Idaho, a Top 10 Author and the ACFW Author of the Year for the State of Idaho. He has also served as the president of the IWL: Idaho Writer’s League from 2001-2003, and as president of Idahope, a Christian Author’s Writers Group.
He is currently working on the second installment of the Dawn of Destiny Series: Shadow of the Serpent, the follow up to KRACKEN.

Connect With The Author

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | GOODREADS


2 comments:

  1. I love the title and cover for this book. Good review I enjoyed it. Seems like balanced book with being able to handle the Christian fiction without pushing that aspect a little to much. Which is nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

    Click Here
    Muabs.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!